- 1 cup urad dal
- 4 tbs rice flakes
- 3 cups boiled rice
- 1/2 tsp methi seeds
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil or any other refined oil for greasing
- Fried coconut chutney for serving
- Sambhar for serving
- Soak the urad dal and methi seeds together in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
- Soak the rice & rice flakes separately in enough water for 3 hours and drain.
- Blend the urad dal and methi seeds together in a mixer till smooth and frothy (add water little by little as per flowing consistency). Remove and keep aside.
- Blend the rice in a mixer till smooth. Remove and keep aside.
- Combine the urad dal paste and rice paste together in a bowl and cover and keep aside to ferment overnight.
- Once the batter is fermented add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Put spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter to make more idlis. Serve hot with fried coconut chutney and Sambhar.